Wednesday 11 July 2012

A path to Marvel fandom or A guide to getting in to comics


Recently a certain super hero movie made big news and big box office bucks. The Avengers has led people to ask the same question that always crops up during a superhero movie release. “How do I get in to comics?”
Comics have so many interconnecting stories and are very much like soap operas in the way that each comic is simply an episode in one long, never-ending story. I was put off comics for years because I just had no idea where to begin. I was worried I’d get confused and things wouldn’t make sense.
However I’m in to comics now. It’s been a slowly building monster and I still wouldn’t call myself an expert but I thought I could offer fellow Marvel movie fans some advice. If you think you might be a DC person I apologise in advance for the lack of references to their comics. However I’m sure you’ll be able to apply the pointers to their comic universe too.
I think the best way to do this would be to tell you how I personally made my way through the murky waters of comic books. I was a fan of several Marvel cartoons and movies. There were the X-men movies and X-men evolution, Spider-man and somewhere hidden in my memories, the 90’s Spider-man cartoon. And more recently Iron Man and the Marvel movies that followed.
This might sound like odd advice but if you love the films and TV shows you’re half way there. They help by already offering to you an origin story or at least a version of that character and world that you can keep in mind when reading the comics.
Some might argue that the movies and comics are two very different things and they are but I do believe that it helps to have some form of basis. For example you can open up a page of New Avengers and if someone mentions Tony Stark, then hey, you already know who that is!
Your next step (or first depending on how you look at it) is to seek out a comic volume. First look for one that has characters you already like in it. If possible look for something that at least covers one story arch. Or failing that something that has No.1 printed on the spine.
My first purchase was the collected “Civil War” volume. A complex monster of a story line, condensed in to one volume and looking back there were probably references to people and events I didn’t know about. This will happen a lot. Unless you reach a point of reading absolutely everything ever, there will always be something you can’t quite “get”. Just try not to be put off by it.
Another purchase was X-men first class volume 1. It might not feature the team you would recognise from the Bryan Singer films but it’s a great starting point and it’s pretty funny too.
One of my more recent purchases was The Ultimates. It’s a great read for anyone wanting to get more of the Avengers. This isn’t technically the Avengers, more of an alternative version of that. It’s brilliantly written and the artwork is amazing. It’s definitely one of, if not, the best Marvel comic I’ve read.
Another thing to note is that both DC and Marvel have several different alternate versions of things. No character has one definitive origin (although Peter Parker always has problems with a spider) and you might wonder why some things are different across different versions. Again, don’t let it bother you, in fact try to embrace it. (I should point out however that both companies do have a main version of reality and in Marvel the original world is labelled 616…don’t ask.)
So by now you will hopefully have a couple of books you like and have an idea of what characters or series you want to see more of. I started on New Avengers issue 1 and went from there. This then became Civil War and then split in to two versions, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers.
Even after reading nearly a hundred different issues (well okay hundreds I’ve still been caught out by jumps in the story but it’s nothing a quick Google search can’t help you with. For example I was wondering why the two Avengers series seemed to skip an ending, only to find out I should also have been reading the stand alone “Secret Invasion” issues.
The best way I can help this make sense is that a selection of the different titles will go through one over arching story. This story will then spawn a short run of 8 issues(ish) of the main stuff that will tie all of it together.
Yes, it sounds complex and yes, it might make you go cross eyed and the truth is, if you can’t be bothered with it all then maybe your interests lie elsewhere. But please do give them a try, and who knows, in a few months time, it’ll be you cheering at the Iron Man 3 post credit sequence (or Dark Knight Rises if you swing that way).


Extra advice-

If you’re on Netflix or fancy giving the free trial a go, Marvel have some motion comics on there. There’s the Iron Man Extremis series (inspiration for the next Iron Man movie), Astonishing X-men (the one Joss Whedon wrote) and a couple of others. These are especially great for beginners as they’re relatively contained stories

No comments:

Post a Comment