Thursday 31 March 2011

Rivers of London, Wizards dealing with Bureaucracy

  After struggling to think of a blog entry I realised two things. One, I wanted to get back to the subject of writing and two I just finished reading a book so a review is a perfectly respectable thing to add to my blog.
  Rivers of London is a story told from the point of view of Police Constable Peter Grant who is brought to the attention of Inspector Nightingale when he claims he’s waiting to speak to a ghost. As it turns out Nightingale is the last Wizard in England or was until he takes Peter on as his apprentice. This isn’t really a story about him becoming a fully fledged wizard so don’t let your mind jump to “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” It’s made clear that a Wizard’s education can take up to a decade so don’t expect to see many flashy spells.
  The book juggles a main plot of trying to figure out who or what is possessing innocent people of London in to violently attacking people close by and a sub plot about keeping the peace between the Father and Mother of the Thames. Peter Grant has a consistent sarcastic and humorous tone which makes the book all the more enjoyable to read. That and the journey of seeing the crimes unfold will keep the pages turning.
  I managed to put my finger on what it is I like so much about the book. We learn that Peter Grant is mixed race with an African mother that he mentions quite often. This for me means I’m seeing London and the events from a unique perspective whilst at the same time I’m treated to his down to earth opinions that I find so relatable. So as any good “How to Write” book will tell you, Peter Grant makes a perfect hero.
  Rivers of London is the perfect mix of the mundane (Peter telling us the ins and outs of the Metropolitan Police system) and the fantastic (ghosts, river spirits and magic spells). In this world vampires don’t sparkle (Peter Grant says so himself) and magical beings are irritated by the mention of Harry Potter. I find it amusing how many books squeeze the words “Harry Potter” on to the front of books to sell more. On the front of this one is the quote “What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz?” Now I don’t fully agree with this. Characters with dry English wit and magic spells are just about the only things the books have in common. Personally I think the style puts it closer to a book like “The Vesuvius Club” and its sequels than any Harry Potter.
  The only thing that I felt a little disappointed by was the lack of much background to Thomas Nightingale, the last Wizard alive, though I have been assured that this will be resolved in the sequel, “Moon over Soho”.

No comments:

Post a Comment