Wednesday 2 March 2011

Punctuation

Why the question mark? Well I couldn't just name the blog, Emma the writer. After all I have nothing that's been published. I have a 60 page script and numerous shorter ones under my belt. But those were for University. Home work. I'm 80,000 words in to a novel but it's not finished yet.
  So when can you safely label yourself as a writer? Hence the reason for a question mark. I feel as if I'm more qualified than some to name myself that. I know my writing is good and I know I am in turn good at critiquing the work of others. If someone approached me and said they were a writer and then went on to inform me they'd written the first two pages of what was going to be a truly epic script, I'd tell them to go home and do some more writing before they call themselves a writer. But am I much different? Then again, I'm here writing aren't I? Surely this counts?
  A couple of friends of mine have written a book together. In an e-mail to them I recommended a few things to read or watch (something I'll touch upon at a later date). One was an episode of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe in which he dedicates an entire episode to having interviews with television writers. Writing tends to be such a private thing, that to actually hear people talking about themselves writing is an incredible thing. If a DVD was available I would point you in the right direction but unfortunately there isn't one. So I must do the next best thing and tell you to search Youtube. (For various reasons it wouldn't be worth me putting up the link but it is on there).
  Close to the end the writers are asked if they have any advice for budding writers. The first answer is "write. It's in the title, a writer writes." Then there's Russell T Davies' blunt but honest answer. "Finish it. If you've done two pages of a script and the rest is in your head, you're not a writer. No one is going to buy those two pages. No one is going to love those two pages. Finish it."
  So there you have it. I write as often as my job will allow. I've written fan fiction, original stories, articles and scripts for University. But until I've finished my novel I think the "?" will have to remain.

1 comment:

  1. Some people I know like to replace "writer?" with "aspiring writer" which I think is a horrible name. It feels like being diet coke. I think the question mark is a good solution.

    Have fun polishing it off!

    ReplyDelete